What is RockMyRun?
RockMyRun is a smartphone app and website service that provides The Best Running Music in the World™ for active people. Specifically, RockMyRun provides promotional running mixes, designed by professional DJs, that will increase the enjoyment and performance of a your workout, run or race.
People interested in a more enjoyable running experience come to RockMyRun and discover mixes that have music they love, in a variety of lengths, genres and with or without explicit lyrics.
Run Rockers are people who believe in the power of music to inspire, motivate and drive. These are the people for whom the right song at the right time can make them bob their head, sing out loud, pump their fist in the air, run faster, and run for longer because of how the music affects them.
Pricing, Memberships and Features
RockMyRun is free as a Standard Member. You have the option to upgrade to a paid Rockstar Membership, for access to longer mixes and additional features.
Rockstar Memberships come in 3 lengths: monthly, quarterly and yearly.
- A monthly Rockstar Membership is $4.99/month
- A quarterly Rockstar Membership is $12.99/quarter
- A yearly Rockstar Membership is $35.99/year (equivalent to $2.99/month)
Below is a nifty chart that explains what you get access to on the app and website for both membership levels.
The only difference between standard mixes and Rockstar mixes is the length of the mix. Standard mixes are 30 minutes or less in length, while Rockstar mixes are over 30 minutes.
The myBeat™ feature allows you to change the beats per minute (BPM) of your mixes. This is a Rockstar Feature that lets you tailor the BPM to your current (or desired!) pace, for a personalized workout experience.
If you cancel your Rockstar Membership you will continue to be a Rockstar Member until your current membership expires, after which you will not be charged again and your account will switch to a Standard Membership. You will lose access to any of your Rockstar mixes(i.e. no fun).
RockMyRun has switched from a credit-based to membership-based model. If you were a RockMyRun member before the switch and have questions about your account, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
Benefits of running with music can be broken down into two categories, scientific and emotional.
There are numerous scientific studies that show that music can have a positive effect on runners and people working out. For example, research1 shows that BPM-tailored music can:
- Increase your time to exhaustion up to 15% longer than normal
- Decrease your oxygen needs by 7% while exerting yourself
- Help you cover 2.1% more distance in the same amount of time
- Help you experience more positive feelings about the workout
From a non-scientific perspective, music is inherently emotional and passionate. As a result, listening to the right music can create emotional reactions in people. The right music can put you “in the mood”, make you sad, scared, nostalgic, happy or energized. We all have songs that when we hear them make us think of times in our life when we felt a certain way and can some times elicit a physical response (even if it’s just a head bob).
We feel that the ability of music to alter our physical, mental and emotional states can be harnessed to improve performance in physical activities such as running. After listening to a few mixes, we think you’ll feel the same way.
 “Effects of synchronous music on treadmill running among elite triathletes.” Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 15, 52-57. “Effects of music tempo upon submaximal cycling performance.”, Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2010 Aug;20(4):662-9
We’ve spent hundreds of hours testing various mixes with runners of all different skill levels and experience. This user testing—along with the fact that we are all runners—helps us understand what a runner goes through when training for a race or working out. Many runners get bored, need motivation and need to keep their brain focused as they are cranking out the miles.
As a result we have constructed all of our mixes to, for the most part, conform to the following guidelines:
- Balance of both mainstream and under-the-radar songs
- DJ remixes of songs that you can’t hear anywhere else
- Increasing intensity & energy of songs or the lyrics in the songs as a mix progresses to help keep your energy up as you fatigue
- A new song every two minutes or so: Long enough to hear enough of a song that you like, short enough that if you don’t like the song it will be over soon :)
- Interesting effects included in mixes like scratching, flange, echo’s, high-pass filters etc.
- Frequent “build ups” (portions of the mix where the beat doubles up, then doubles up again and again and again)
- Infrequent major “breakdowns” (portions of the mix without music or beat)
- Lengths that correspond to how long runners typically workout
Yes and no. For some people, they rely on the speed of the music to pace themselves. They get into a rhythm of running and timing their steps to the beat. While this is works for some, for others it can become a bit robotic and disregards the emotional effect that music can have. After all if were all about BPM we could just run to a metronome and be happy.
Our view is that BPM matters, but doesn’t matter as much as the meaningfulness of the song to the listener. You probably have songs on your current playlist that aren’t the “right BPM” for your stride, but that elicits a fond or powerful memory. Or perhaps, even though a song may be slower, the lyrics of the song are so powerful that they make your legs churn. We think that reaction is more important than just BPM.
The funny thing about music is that everybody has different tastes! We work to try and accommodate all different preferences in our running mixes. If you aren’t seeing something you like, let us know! Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org as we'd love to hear what music rocks YOUR runs.
So you've got skills? Nice! Shoot us a note at email@example.com with your soundcloud/mixcrate/mix.dj page so we can see your skills at work. If it looks good, we'll give you access to be able to submit mixes into our system.
You cannot download mixes from RockMyRun. You can only listen to the mixes in the RockMyRun app
iPhone and Android Support
The RockMyRun app allows you to:
- Browse and discover new mixes while on the go
- Edit the beats per minute of a mix to sync it with your stride
- Stream mixes instantly when on 3G/4G
- Skip tracks you don't like while playing a mix
- Share your experiences with mixes right within the app
Yes! But you will need to have an internet connection the whole time to use RockMyRun.
No. RockMyRun is a streaming music service and so it requires data access to use the app.
Not with RockMyRun! We know you're using RockMyRun while running or exercising so we've optimized the amount of data it uses. For a 1 hour workout it uses 10-15MB of data - less than HALF of other services!
Yes! You can play and stream your RockMyRun mixes while you use another app to track your runs.
If you’re having issues with the app, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Account Support
If you forgot your password you can reset it by following the below directions:
- Go to RockMyRun.com, click 'Login' and then 'Forgot Login?'
- Check the 'Forgot Password' box and fill out the form to get a temporary password emailed to you
- Login with this password and then click on 'My Account' in the upper right corner of the site.
- Enter in a new password in the 'Password' and 'Verify Password' fields
Right now, the only way to change those is to email us at email@example.com.